-->

Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Chllin' In Chinhae

Wow, I didn't realize so much time has passed since I last updated. Thankfully, things haven't been too crazy so it shouldn't be hard to bring the world up to speed.

We are still docked in Chinhae. We have been having contractors come on board every day to fix the engine thats down. Along with the engineers keeping busy, there have been some contractors coming up to the bridge to test and inspect all of our GMDSS equipment. GMDSS is the system we use to send a recieve emergency calls to and from anywhere on the globe. However, we only have it set to the a particular grid area that we are operating in. Along with those inspectors we have had the Coast Guard here inspecting all the firefighting and lifesaving gear.

I still stand 8 straight hours of watch, and we still switch which watch we have every three days. I spend my time surfing the internet and looking at Camaros and reading. I've got my eyes on a particular 1969 beauty of a Camaro in Florida, hoping its still for sale when I get off in July. Though everything says don't blow that money on a car....I really really really want that car! Such a tough choice. I bounce between getting it and not about a hundred times a day. I'll probably get it.

We are set to do sea trials on the repaired engine on the 25th. This involves leaving at about 8am and going out on the ocean and running the engine at high RPM's, testing it astern, manuevering, etc. Basically braking it in and seeing if it holds together. We'll come back to the dock at around 4pm.

Then on the 30th we are scheduled to go back to Sasebo if the sea trials are successful. From there we have runs to Yokosuka, Okinawa, and a few other places in the works. I'm ready to leave, I've had enough of Chinhae and I'm hardly making any over time just sitting here. And not having any OT is not gonna pay for that Camaro. Plus, its gotten kinda boring. I can only surf the web for so long before going insane.

I haven't really been back out in Chinhae much since last time. Once or twice to grab a bite to eat when dinner just looks dreadful (really cook, fish heads?!). Beyond that, I'm just content to stay on board and work out and watch movies. I do go for runs on shore though. There just isn't much to do out in town except spend money. Hopefully some of the other ports are more interesting.  I'm really looking forward to Guam coming up sometime soon.

Thats about all I got. I'll do the next update after we leave Chinhae. I think it'll only take a day or so to get back to Sasebo.

No comments:

Post a Comment