It's been a while since the last update, but not too much has happened. We made it Sasebo and hung out in the harbor at anchor for a couple of days. We moved a little bit of ammo ashore, but nothing significant. I was able to go ashore in Sasebo for the first time, but there really isn't anything significant there. I wound up just going for a couple of long runs through town and eating at the CPO club on base.
We left Sasebo and went North to Yokosuka and tossed out the anchor over there. We gave the Navy base there fresh missiles and what not while we got old stuff from them to make its way back to the states. We wound up having to leave early due to a major front coming through that was going to be putting up 40 knot winds, which would have most likely caused us to drag anchor. So we pulled up the hook and made a night departure for Okinawa.
It took 2.5 days to get to Okinawa, one of Japan's southern-most islands. The base here is GIGANTIC. Its not really one base, but a conglomerate of separte Airforc, Army, Navy, and Marine Corps bases. Its a relatively tiny island and the bases take up quite a bit of real estate. I can see why the local yokals want them out. We were here to deliver a bunch of ordnance to the Marines stationed here. It was 2 full days of cargo ops. We also picked some of their old/used stuff that will make it back to the states for refurbishing or proper discarding. I didn't have too much to do with ammo ops.
We have a bus that runs us to the Airforce base about 20 mins away. I hopped on it for a ride over for lunch and to do some shopping and what not in the exchange. I have to say, of all the military personnel at the bases I've been going to, the Airforce seems to have the win when it comes the attractive ladies. I was pleasantly surprised, and used to opportunity to do some socializing over lunch. I plopped down across from an AF Capt named Ashley who was sitting alone eating and struck up a conversation.
What I was just figuring as an awkward lunch conversation turned into a pretty lengthy one and we wound up walking around base chatting it up for the next few hours. I have yet to meet a stranger anywhere I've been going! Anyways, she gave me her number to give her a call to go out sometime the nextime we pull into Okinawa. So that was day 1 off the ship.
Day two was a take it easy day for me. I've been on the midnight to 8am watches here so I have all day off. It consisted sleeping til lunch, then sleeping a little more after lunch. After the post lunch slumber, I decided I had to take advantage of the gorgeous weather here. It's been in the mid to upper 60's and pretty sunny. I laced up the Nikes and went for a 3 hr run out into town just to see the sites. I got back in time for a quick shower and dinner, after which I fell asleep watching a movie and didn't wake up till 11:30 for watch. Boy it felt good!
So we leave Okinawa tomorrow, I partly wish we could spend a few more days here. But we are Guam bound next, and everyone on board is looking forward to that! We are dropping off all of our old and used ordnance that we've been picking up. That'll take about 3 days, then we pull out and another ammo ship comes in picks the old stuff off and drops of fresh stuff, and we go back into port and pick up the fresh stuff.
I don't know how long all that will take, all I know is that its quite a bit of cargo being moved, so it might be a while. After Guam I have no idea where we go. It'll be somewhere in the Japan/Korea area, but our schedule of specific ports changes about 5 times a day. The office just can't be happy with one schedule. Its driving the Capt. nuts.
Speaking of the Capt. In Sasebo we got a new one. The old Capts time was up so he rotated back home and this one came on. He's from the older generation of Capts here, and I think this is his last trip before he retires. He seems pretty good. Straightforward and easy going, I don't think I'll have a problem with him. I've gotten lucky with 2 good Capts, there are a good number of ones that are much much more difficult to get along with.
Thats about all I got for now. Til next time,
Friday, February 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment