I feel like the posts are starting to become repetive in their content and nature. I'll try to spice it up, but I make no gurantees for the fans.
We have been very busy here on board the Matthew Perry, I'd say its the busiest time period we've had since I've been with the crew. Since the last post, we left Sasebo headed South-South West to an area near Okinawa and pulled up next to a couple of small helo/aircraft carriers carrying air support for the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU). We gave them fuel, mail, food, toilet paper, engine parts, etc, etc. The Captain we have on board prefers to do ConReps via Vert Reps (meaning we connect the ships via wire and send supplies over the wire instead of using helicopters). We do this because it's quicker and more effecient than using helicopters and is also excellent training.
So we spent 2 days shuttling supplies to the Marines and a couple of Navy destroyers. After that we ran back into Sasebo for a couple of days to get more cargo and then headed back out, again on a South by Southwesterly course.
We met up with another destroyer the other day (I loose track of dates and days out here) and once again connected the wires and sent them fuel and palletized cargo. The only difference with this one versus the others we've been doing is what I did. I showed up a little groggy from my post-lunch nap expecting to take my usual place manning the throttles and supervising the helmsman. The Captain had other plans..he said "Mate, your driving today". After a few seconds of making sure my ears weren't playing tricks I was like...ummm okay, hope this works.
So I took control of the ship and pulled up 100 feet off the side of this destroyer. From there I directed the cargo teams to hook up the wires and send across the fuel hoses. We ran along side them for a couple of hours...every minute of which I was saying a silent prayer that I don't pull the wrong move and sink both ships. I think such a move would slightly blemish my career.
After the transfer was over, I initiated an emergency break away drill and we were on our way with out a hitch. The Capt. said I had a pretty good grasp on ship handling, so that wasn't too bad. It wasn't too much of a surprise, I know I'm pretty damn good at this job.
Other than the unreps, the transits were pretty typical. Lots of squid fishing boats and heavy shipping traffic. There were some areas where we'ld be chug a luggin along just fine and then the radar would just blow up with traffic...I think I saw smoke coming from it once or twice. At times the boats were so thick I thought we were seeing some uncharted land up ahead of us. But before I could pick a name out for these new found mystery islands to name after the great Mike, the mass became little dots. I'd drop the radar scale down (basically ignoring the stuff 6-12 miles out and focus on conquering the 3-6 mile stuff) and pick a hole and go through. We never had any close calls but did have boats and a few ships coming within a 1/4 mile at times (we normally like maneuver so fishing boats stay at 1 mile and ships at 2 miles).
So we leave tomorrow after our 24 hour stay in Okinawa. We head to Guam. I'm excited for 4 traffic-less days of blue skies and a warm sun to navigate in. Though its just the calm before the storm. After that we head to the Philippines, where they not only have traffic like Japan, but I hear the fishing boats there are just straight lunatics at some of the stunts they pull. But I've got a slight curiosity and interest to want to getting to deal with it first hand.
So thats about all I got for now. When I'm not on watch, I'm usually working out, reading, or falling asleep on a movie I'll never finish. It's pretty routine life.
Til next time,
Friday, March 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment